Rent Reduction Agreement Consumer Affairs Victoria

The first step is to contact the landlord or broker to try to reach an agreement on rent reduction. The Victorian government has extended the aid package to tenants facing financial difficulties related to COVID-19. We have a step-by-step guide and template letters on how to apply for a rent reduction from the landlord or real estate agent. If they refuse to reduce the rent, you can now access a dispute resolution system to try to reach an agreement. If you still cannot reach an agreement after mediation, your dispute will be sent to the Chief Dispute Resolution Officer, who will decide that tenants should be aware of how much rent they can pay. Some homeowners or real estate agents may require you to access your superannuation before considering a rental facility, but the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has indicated that unauthorized financial advice is illegal. You can get financial advice if you are in this post (see who can help me? below). If you and the owner agree to renew the contract without going through the RTDRS, we advise you to register the agreement with Consumer Affairs Victoria in order to register the intention of the parties. If you are still struggling to pay your reduced rent, you may be eligible for the COVID-19 Rent Relief Grant. COVID-19 Grant provides rental benefits of up to $3,000 directly to your landlord or agent. If you have already received the grant of up to $2000, you can apply for an additional $1000. If the tenant and landlord agree, a rental agreement can be renewed. This applies to agreements reached either privately or through dispute resolution services.

An extended agreement can be used as evidence to support access to government assistance, such as a rent relief subsidy for tenants or for possible mortgage payment deferrals for landlords. There is no defined format, but you can use the form for the temporary rent reduction agreement as a guide. If you use another format, it must include: Get legal assistance if your rent has been increased on March 29, 2020 or after March 28, 2021. A rent reduction ends on the date set in your contract. If you want an extension, you must obtain a clear written agreement that extends the original lease to a new date. The most important thing is that they explain the types of evidence you want to compile to support your rent reduction application. A rental agreement or rent reduction agreement must be submitted to Consumer Affairs Victoria before the tenant and lessor have access to the rent reduction grant. This is a one-time payment of $3,000 for tenants who are experiencing financial difficulties due to the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19). The grant is paid directly to the landlord on behalf of the tenant. For this period, you cannot receive eviction notices or forcibly release yourself if you stay in the rent because of COVID-19.

Important: You don`t have to accept that your rent is delayed/deferred instead of being reduced if it doesn`t match your financial situation. It is important that you do not end up with a rent debt that you may not be able to repay. If you need additional assistance to contact your landlord through a rent reduction, you can contact consumer Affairs Victoria or get assistance from services like this: If it is assumed that the dispute can be forwarded, you will receive an email with the time and date of the mediation hearing and other important information. This may be an example of the types of agreements reached during mediation and a guide to the process. If you and the owner reach an agreement, the Ombudsman will file it in writing during mediation and give you a copy, as well as the owner. It may be an intimidating step, but it is important not to delay it — paying the rent is a breach of the lease. Rent reductions can be deferred to the date the application is made.